Monday, June 27, 2011

One Month Ago Today...

...I lost one of my best life-long friends, Lise Marie Palmer (Macadangdang), in a tragic accident.
One month ago today...Lise's husband, Ryan, lost his wife and unborn baby girl, Faith Marie.
...Lise's 2 young sons, Ray & Mac, lost their mother and sister.
...Lise's parents, Cathy & Craig, lost their only child and only granddaughter.
...and one month ago today countless others lost a family member and/or a dear friend.

It is so hard to believe it has already been one month, yet seems like forever in other ways.  It has been long enough that I, on many occasions, have had something happen or cross my mind and thought "I need to call/text Lise"...and then realize that I can't.  It is such a surreal experience to feel, even for a brief moment, that she is still here. I am trying to be thankful for those moments, as difficult as they are, because I know as more time passes those experiences will become few and far between and will eventually fade away as reality and the finality of her passing truly sets in.  Chris (my husband) has reminded me of that as he has dealt and still is dealing with the loss of both of his parents in the last 5 years to cancer.  He doesn't have those moments anymore with his parents.

This may be ridiculous, but I have felt as if I couldn't blog again until I wrote about Lise and what happened.  Maybe it's just how I process things, but I just couldn't write about anything else on this silly blog without addressing Lise and this situation as this has been one of the most difficult things I have ever had to go through...something that has truly shaken me to the core, as I know it has done for so many.

Lise and I met in the 2nd grade.
She was the first person I ever had a slumber party with.  I will never forget her knocking on our door one evening to ask if I could come stay the night (she lived right up the street from me all growing up!).  :)  I did, and my life has never been the same!

We literally grew up together...went to elementary, junior high, and high school together (and all that comes with).
We played t-ball, softball & basketball together.

We were in each other's weddings and there the day of (or shortly after) the births of our children, and most recently were stay-at-home-mom's together.
She was like a sister that I never had.  Her mom told me that when Lise was little she used to ask her if she could marry me (obviously before we really knew what that all meant!).  HAHA!  Needless to say, we were great great friends.
Lise was an amazing person.  She was a doer....always on the move.  She was one of those people who was hard to keep up with and when you spent an extended period of time with her you were exhausted by the end of it!  She had a joy for life that was contagious.  She loved whatever she was doing/eating/playing/etc. and had a way of drawing others to herself and bringing a group of people together.

She was a fantastic and loving wife, mother, daughter, and friend.  She was a stay-at-home-mom and lived for her boys.  She loved her husband more than anything in the world and would do anything for him.  Her mom was one of her best friends.
She was a talented and competitive athlete and loved to work out and eat healthy (but she also had a huge sweet tooth!).

She was beautiful on the inside and out.
She had a great sense of humor and knew how to laugh at herself.  I have so many great memories of laughing with/at Lise.  She definitely didn't take herself too seriously.  I can still hear her saying "SHOOT!" after doing/saying something ridiculous in the way that only Lise could.
Above all, though, Lise had an amazing faith.  One that I was blessed to watch grow over the years.  She was always asking questions and wanted to know all the answers to defend her faith, yet was able to admit she didn't have all the answers and have a child-like faith and just BELIEVE.  I have learned a lot about Lise's faith in her passing and am so encouraged and challenged by her.  It has been amazing to see how truly real her faith was through the lives she has touched and the testimony that her life was to so many.  She wanted all of her friends and family to come to the Lord (if they hadn't already), and have life everlasting as she and Faith now have.

Her life and passing have been a huge reminder that the only truly important things in this life are:
1) Our relationship/love with & for God
2) Our relationship/love with & for others

~ Luke 10:25-28 ~25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” 27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” 28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.” 
I feel like I could say so much more about Lise...we were friends for 22+ years and I miss her like crazy...it still doesn't feel real.  But, for now I am just going to share some recent prayers from Lise's prayer journal that her family had shared at her memorial service.  They are so amazing and I am so thankful for them.
(She had this verse written in lipstick on her bathroom mirror)
~ Proverbs 4:20-22 ~ 
I attend to your word Lord God. I keep it in the midst of my heart. It is life to me and health to all my flesh. 

Lise's Prayers:

Lord I pray that you give me a heart of purity, thoughts and actions. I know that I will sin because I am human. But I can realize it and repent as soon as I know I am sinning. Lord, let me be a loving daughter, wife, mom and friend. Thank you for my family and sweet baby girl, and for allowing me to work out for my own sanity!

Lord, I pray that I have a change of heart, and before I pray and ask for things, to think first if it is really for me or for God. I would absolutely love to bring others to you, to have fun not partying, but following you. Show me and my husband how to live in the light and bring others to you. I love you and thank you for my children and my healthy baby girl! I am sorry for being so emotional yesterday, this pregnancy is making me nutso...must be this girl!

Lord, I pray that I have absolutely no inhibitions and follow your word, your guidance by the holy spirit daily. I don't want to wait to see to believe. I want to live by FAITH! Thank you for my family and baby girl! Thank you for being able to work out all through pregnancy!

Lord, I pray that you will use me as a testimony to others to trust your scripture, to believe 110% in everything I read that you have done or will do. I don't want to be like Thomas who didn't believe in you until he saw you. It will be too late for me, and for everyone if I wait until your time back or until I die. Lord, thank you for everything in my life, including my baby girl!

(Lise's last prayer:)
Lord, my prayer tonight is of thanks. Thank you for giving Ryan the day off and for a much needed family vacation! I love that this is the perfect timing in our lives to have one. Thank you again for everything. Please watch over our safe trip to Chelan and back. I love you.
Lise.
--------------------------
When something like this happens, it is completely natural to ask "why" and "what-if...".  I have done that a lot myself, and still do it pretty much on a daily basis whenever I think about Lise and Faith.  However, I fully trust that God is in control and that it was Lise & Faith's time to go HOME.  God is good...all the time...even when we don't understand why things happen the way they do.  He has a bigger plan!
~ Romans 8:28 ~ 
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Here are some additional links for more info:
Article about Lise's accident
Another more detailed article: "A Tale of Fate and Faith..."
Lise's obituary & online funeral home guest book
Lise & Faith Memorial Run
Lise Marie Palmer (Macadangdang)
June 6, 1981 - May 27, 2011
Thank you so much for keeping the Palmer and Macadangdang families in your prayers...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heath- What a beautiful post and honor to Lise. God is Good...All the time. Love you! Tam

Natalie said...

Thanks for re-posting her prayers. I've really been wanting to read them again ever since I heard them at the service. My thoughts and prayers are still with you all.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Heather,

My heart still aches for you. You are such a wonderful friend and person to Lise and her family. This post is beautifully written, I am saving it so I can read the verses and prayers. Thanks! Love to you and your family. Liz

Cathy said...

Dear Heather, (remember Mrs. Sunich calling you Heather Bear & Lise Love)

Thank you for describing our daughter so perfectly! Lise so loved her family and friends. Lise's close friends have been such a comfort to us, I will always remember Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. Lise was Dopey, she just laughed and didn't mind the name at all.
She was God's gift to us and for that her Dad and I are so thankful. We miss her more with each passing day, the pain I can't put into words. We hold onto God's word that we will see Lise and Faith again one day soon.

We love you!
Cathy

The Wakin 3 said...

I don't know any of you, but I have been following all of this on FB through the memorial run site. I cry every time I think about the finality of all of this.
My mom passed away (very suddenly) when I was 14, and my sister was only 18 months old.
It's been nearly 20 years and I see God in every moment of the entire thing.
So I just felt led to encourage everyone that is grieving that God is in control...even when it makes no sense at all. We only know in part and see in part...and all things will be revealed to us when we stand before God. So be encouraged as you grieve that God has all of you in His hands.
May the Lord of the universe comfort all of you and an extra measure of comfortK for her children, husband and family.
Peace of Christ to all of you ~

Katie Wakin

sarah fuccillo photography said...

beautiful johnson... just beautiful.

Rachel said...

Heather,

Thank you for writing this. It is helpful to read, re-read, and talk about Lise...espically as weeks turn to months. The last three days have been in some ways worse then many in the past month. I don't know if it becuase the memories are fading despite my efforts to keep Lise at forefront of my thoughts. Or if for me, summertime is more difficult becuase it is when we had more time together. Maybe it is becuase I hurt so deeply for Ryan and wish I was independently wealthy and could allow him to stay home with the boys and not return to work. Perhaps the more I love on my own Mom & talk to her, the more I hurt for Cathy and her unbelievable loss. I guess this is a long way of saying "Thank you" for shining the spotlight on Lise and reminding people that for those of us close to Lise and the Palmers, one month has not been long enough to feel "better" but only enough time to hurt more deeply. I am relying on God's amazing grace and love to comfort me, and all of us who continue to ache and morn over this loss!

Love you & thank you!
Rachel Bailey

Anonymous said...

I too have never met Lise but having been following her story the last month through FB. My heart aches for Lise's family. As a wife and mother this is my worst fear. Lise has moved me more then any one person ever has. I am a devoted Mother and wife however my faith hasn't been a strong suit. Lise's has faith has been such an eye opener. I pray my spirituality grows and my heart opens to God's words and that I know God. Thank you all for sharing Lise with us!! I pray for Ryan,their boys, and families. I pray to someday have a faith like Lise's!
Blessings, Meg